Monday, March 23, 2009

Johnny Dollar editorial comment

Listened to a bunch of Johnny Dollar episodes last night (I have about 95% of the entire series so it's gonna take awhile to get through them all). I selected a few of each of the different actors to play the role and I can see (hear) why Robert Readick had the shortest run of them all (not counting Gerald MOhr and Dick POwell in single audition episodes) - he simply lacked personality in the role,, I found his episodes to be very dry and boring. Certainly the writing could share some of the blame but I have heard many shows and watched a lot of movies where the writing lacked something but the actors managed to make up for it.

Bob Bailey and Edmund O'Brien were, far and away, the best to play the role of my favorite radio character.

No comments: